ChrisHayton

ChrisHayton

Escaping Barcelona

Escaping Barcelona - Henry Martin

Disclosure: I purchased Escaping Barcelona in August 2014. I do not know the author, but I have had communication with him on the Goodreads site. The comments that follow are my own personal opinion. I received NO compensation of any kind, or from anyone, to provide this review.

I enjoyed the relaxed pace of this book. My reading was interrupted by my life about half way through. I decided I would start at the beginning again and read it through when I knew I would be able to finish it. I’m very glad I did.

Rudy is stuck in Barcelona. At nineteen, he finds himself a derelict, roaming the streets in search of food and safety. He has no money, no passport, no friends, and no way to communicate and no way to leave. This book takes you on the journey with Rudy as he attempts to survive in a foreign city and find a way to escape its dark side.

I liked Rudy and found his personality very realistic. There was not only a running account of his circumstances, a brief insight into the other characters, but also a familiarity with Rudy’s inner thoughts. He exhibits, through language and actions, both the childish emotions and mature logic, often found in young men his age. Despite horrible starvation, and the events he endures trying to stay alive, he also muses about social conditions and relationships, but with an underlying hopefulness. This viewpoint helps the reader see, despite a depressing story, a glimpse of light at the end of a dark tunnel. The other characters, settings, and scenes of the city were clear, but without excessive description. The pace increased when he reflected on the end of his time in Barcelona and the hope of an escape.

I am not a fan of first person POV and usually avoid books written in first person, but in this case, the book developed the character very well. The writer has an excellent command of this writing style and the story flowed beautifully. The pace adjusted perfectly for the story line, and I did not feel the halting jerks usually found in first person writing. The book read well and I found no spelling or grammar errors.

This book was a rare and enjoyable insight into a desperate person. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a modern story line with a very likable character. This was Book 1 in the series Mad Days of Me. I’m excited to read the next two books.