ChrisHayton

ChrisHayton

That Which Lives Within

That Which Lives Within - eLPy Disclosure: I received the free book "That Which Lives Within" from The Source Group for the purpose of providing an honest review. I do not know the author nor have I ever had any communication with her about this book or any other subject. The comments that follow are my own personal opinion. I received NO compensated of any kind, or from any one, to provide this review.

I wish I could agree with Henry's glowing review, but as he said poetry is the most subjective of written art. This is my personal opinion and I have no doubt these poems may be wonderful to other readers.

I really did not enjoy the poetry and had a great deal of difficulty reading most of it. The majority of poems were written without consistent stanzas and a total lack of punctuation. The absence of any kind of direction left me confused, and even with constant re-reading I just couldn't seem to find the key to many of the poems.

I enjoy the flow of poetry and the almost sensuous beat of the words. I did not find these poems flowed well. Many were overly wordy or lacked continuity. There seemed to be a lot of emotion, but it seemed scattered. I would have loved to see more focus and direction in these pieces. The use of unnecessary words tended to destroy any smooth flow.

The Poepics, I managed to read, seemed simplistic and I agree they didn't seem to belong there. The art would have been better on its own.

My rating (2.2) is an average of the ratings I assigned to each poem. There were some very enjoyable poems and the tribute to the author's brother was quite moving.

I ignored the obvious formatting errors when determining my rating.

I think the effort put forth in this debut is commendable and I think there is a good deal of potential to build on. The author did not follow conventional poetry construction, which is completely acceptable and my personal preference. I would like to see her develop a stronger focus and direction, and learn to use words more efficiently.

I would also strongly suggest she consider her readers. Some kind of break point or punctuation, though technical, provides a guide that can make the work more easily accessible and produce that empathic connection between author and reader.