ChrisHayton

ChrisHayton

The Mystery of the Clock

The Mystery of the Clock - R Patrick James Disclosure: I purchased a signed copy of “The Mystery of the Clock” from the author in October 2014. I do not know the author personally, but we discuss literature regularly at a monthly writer’s club. I have not discussed this book with him. The comments that follow are my own personal opinion. I received NO compensation of any kind, or from any one, to provide this review.

This story is told by the great-grandfather, who takes various members of his family on excursions involving time travel. An old mantle clock and a renaissance mirror facilitate these adventures. This is a fictional account of a Canadian family and in order to avoid spoilers, I will leave other details to future readers.

I enjoyed this book very much. Very well written, this book provided numerous interesting and diverse details. It covered both historical and current events. The characters were well developed and the settings beautifully described. The writing reflects a unique voice and I found the pace, although a bit slow, very easy to read and comfortable. The book followed a family through many years and rather than a complex plot, provided the reader with numerous insights into the family dynamic with enough twists to keep it interesting.

My only negative responses were to the pace, which was slow, and the characters seemed too perfect. There was very little personal conflict in the story. The family patriarch narrated, and I considered it something that often happens in a family situation – I think he was incapable of seeing character flaws in his own offspring. However, none of this hindered the story in any way and I’m giving this book 4 stars.

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a family story, told in a wholesome context, and reflecting strong moral values with lots of diversion along the way.